Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Harder Than I Thought

4th, Dec. 2007
As I dressed for the day, I realized that this Holiday is going to be harder than I thought. I had looked at the clock and realized it is Hanukkah in Iraq.

That my beloved has already kindle the Hanukkah lights.
I hope he had latkes.
The hanukkiahs are in their places in the windows, waiting to be filled with olive oil.

The white table cloth with the symbols of Hanukkah are waiting to be set out.
And I can't see for the tears.

This is very emotional time. It has always been a special time and for him to be so far away is ripping into my soul.
I'd not sure if I can even eat a latke or a jelly dougnut tonight.
I will try.
*************************************************************************************

Hanukkah; The First Night
Blessed art Thou, O L-rd Our G-d, King of the universe, Who has sanctified us with His commandments and cammonded us to kindle the Hanukkah lights.
Blessed art Thou, O G-d our G-d, King of the univcrse, Who has kept us in life, sustanined us and brought us safely to this season.


The foods of Hanukkah are cooked in oil, usually olive oil.
We cook in oil to remember the mircale of the Oil lasting eight days.
In Sepherdic Jewish homes, like Mark and my, latkes-pototes pancakes aren't really traditional. That tasty dish comes from our Jewish brothers and sisters from Eastern Europe. Ours is fried dougnuts, often jelly dougnuts with some type of jam.
But since I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy pototes pancakes (Served with sour cream or apple sauce) I draw from my North-West African roots and use sweet pototes instead of white ones. Has a sweet-spicey taste. This year, I have added salmon cakes to the menu. The cook wasn't able to make Mark laktes; so I will make them for him when he comes home for a few weeks. Sweet potote latkes, salmon cakes, rasberry jam dougnuts and red wine.
Counting down the days....

No comments: