Monday, December 8, 2008

I Love the Candles

From Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:35:55 PM EST
Feeling: Happy

Blessed are you, L-rd, our G-d, King of the universe, Who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to kindle the lights of Shabbat.

As the woman of the home, it is both my duty and my honour to kindle the Shabbat lights. Each Ere Shabbat, I have the blessing of lighting the candles and saying the blessing our mothers have uttered for hundreds of years.
There is a moment when after I light the candles, spread the light and joy of Shabbat to all about me and then hide my eyes.
That is a moment so blessed, so holy for it is my moment with G-d, a moment of sweetness, a soft kiss. During this sweet moment I ask G-d to bless my husband, children (the ones we believe G-d to give us one day) friends, family.
Then when I uncover my eyes, that is when Sabbath begins. For when I see open my eyes and see the lights, I smile and my husband says it is my smile that says; "It's Sabbath."
Right now, I kindle the Shabbat lights, knowing Mark is doing the same in Iraq. I send him to Iraq with the candlestick holders I used when I was still single, when we started courting, then engaged and finally married. Something of home, something to remind him of the sweetness we enjoyed on Shabbat.
I am happy to know that mark hasn't been welcoming Shabbat alone. That sometimes others join him.
Sometimes he calls me just before the sun goes down in Iraq, to wish me a good Shabbat. I have set aside one set of candleholders to light at @ 9a.m because it is 6pm in Iraq. This way we can light them together.
In our home, I have candles Mark brought a while back that are rose and jasmine scented. It makes me think of my beloved.
There is a softness and calm that comes when I kindle the candles.
The peace of G-d.

1 comment:

Missie said...

I love candles as well. Hope you're having a good start to your week.